Manama, Feb. 24 (BNA): The Ministry of Health has confirmed the first case of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Kingdom of Bahrain after a Bahraini citizen arriving from Iran was suspected of having contracted the virus, based on emerging symptoms.
The patient was transferred to the Ebrahim Khalil Kanoo Medical Centre for immediate testing, treatment and isolation under the supervision of a specialised medical team. The ministry undertook further necessary medical measures to monitor all individuals who had been in contact with the patient and referred them to isolation accordingly.
The ministry said it is taking further preventive measures to ensure the virus is contained, including monitoring the health of individuals arriving from infected countries for a period of 14 days, in line with international standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO).
"The ministry calls upon all citizens and residents who are experiencing symptoms of COVID19, including a fever, coughing and difficulty breathing, or those who have traveled to one of the countries infected with the disease or have interacted with a person traveling from any of those locations, or interacted with an infected patient, to isolate themselves, call 444, and follow the instructions given by the medical team, and avoid close contact with others," the ministry said.