Manama, Dec. 9 (BNA): His Royal Highness Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince and Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Bahrain, and His Royal Highness Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the Crown Prince, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, today co-chaired a meeting of the Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council, at Sakhir Palace.
HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister welcomed HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman to the Kingdom of Bahrain, highlighting the Council's importance as a forum to enhance bilateral collaboration and integration, in line with the visions of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques, King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, and His Majesty Kin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa.
HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad commended HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s commitment to advancing Saudi-Bahraini cooperation, in line with joint agreements set out by the Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council.
HRH the Crown Prince and Prime Minister extended his congratulations to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for its wide-ranging progress and development, in line with HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s vision and the ambitions of its citizens.
For his part, HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman expressed his pleasure in visiting the Kingdom of Bahrain, noting the importance of the Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council and its sub-committees in furthering shared interests, benefitting both countries and their peoples.
HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman extended his gratitude to His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, and HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa, the Crown Prince and Prime Minister, and to the Bahraini people, for their hospitality during his stay.
HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman stressed the important role played by the Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council in further bolstering bilateral relations in line with joint interests and commended the strength of coordination and cooperation between the two countries to fulfil the Council’s goals.
During the meeting, Bahrain welcomed the USD 5 billion investment in development projects across the Kingdom by the Saudi authorities and funds.
Several major investment projects in the Kingdom of Bahrain were discussed.
The Council assigned the relevant ministers from both parties to coordinate and complete detailed technical studies throughout 2022 in preparation for final decisions to be made by the Council.
The Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council urged the committee supervising the King Hamad Causeway and railway network projects between the two kingdoms to complete economic and financial feasibility studies within a month, to move to the second phase of the projects.
Cooperation between the National Oil and Gas Holding Company in the Kingdom of Bahrain and Saudi Aramco was discussed, with particular focus was paid to oil and gas, the circular economy and hydrogen production technology. The Kingdom of Bahrain also expressed its full support for the Saudi and Middle East Green Initiatives.
HRH Prince Salman bin Hamad and HRH Prince Mohammed bin Salman agreed to hold the third Saudi-Bahraini Coordination Council meeting in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, at a date to be determined by both the Council's General Secretariat and through diplomatic channels.
The Council reviewed 65 initiatives within the workstreams of the five sub-Committees.
The Political Coordination sub-Committee is responsible for 7 initiatives, namely:
• To support candidates of the two kingdoms when participating in international organisations and bodies
• To combat and eliminate extremist ideology amongst young people
• Expand upon coordination between the two countries' delegations in New York and Geneva
• To implement joint courses for young diplomats
The Security Coordination sub-Committee is responsible for 10 initiatives, including
• Cyber security cooperation
• Facilitating transit and visa procedures
• Direct networking/peering
The Coordination sub-Committees in the areas of the economy, energy, trade, and industry hold responsibility for 11 initiatives, such as:
• Facilitating financial market trading
• Standardisation cooperation
• Conformity assessment of biodegradable plastic products
• Intellectual property partnership
• Enhancing intra-trade relations
The Coordination sub-Committees in the areas of culture, media, tourism, and social development included 27 initiatives, most notably:
• Registration of joint files with (UNESCO)
• Cooperation in the field of culture and antiquities
• Media regulation
• Adoption of digital health passports
• Implementation of joint tourism programs and investment initiatives
• Establishment of the Saudi-Bahraini Youth Council
Finally, the Coordination sub-Committees for investment, the environment, and infrastructure is responsible for 10 initiatives, including:
• Qualification of developers for the King Hamad Causeway and the railway project
• The water link between the two countries
• Joint investment in projects
• Waste recycling and utilization